Sunday 7 December 2014

It Has Finally Begun


At some point this spring I decided to build a small sailboat. I wanted a boat to fish and camp with, and just to sail.  I spent the summer choosing plans and then accumulating materials.  And now I'm just about ready to start.  Twelve years ago I wanted a canoe, so I built one. Back then I had the time. Now I have a job and a young family and not so much time.  But the kids are going to Nannie's for Christmas so I will have some time to make hay. 

A guy at work has some property and a bandsaw mill.  He gave me a bunch of really nice Douglas fir that I will use throughout the boat. This morning I got started by ripping some pieces that I will laminate to build the rudder and dagger board.



This will become the rudder. 





This will be the dagger board. 

I have no heat in the workshop right now, so I can't laminate until that is fixed, hopefully this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment