Monday 15 December 2014

Started in Earnest!

This morning my family decamped for Thunder Bay.  In order to cope with my loneliness I have thrown myself into building this boat.  This evening I laid out the long panels, and got them mostly cut out.


The keel and side pieces run over a sheet and half of plywood.  You can join the pieces and then cut the panels out, but I decided to cut and then join.  


After laying out the points, and checking them, finding a mistake and laying them out again, I used a 12' length of rectangular PVC to loft the curves.  I have no idea what that piece of PVC is meant to be used for, but it worked really well for this.  At first I tried to find a long, uniform wooden batten to use for this, but I couldn't find anything without bumps and knots.  This piece of extruded PVC is very uniform and was easy to make fair curves with.


These shapes look odd, but I think they make a boat in 3D. 


I cut the pieces out with a jigsaw, I stayed outside the lines and then planed off the excess to get right on the lines.  I was a sissy with the jigsaw so I left myself lots of planing.  I tried with the belt sander first, but the good old jack plane worked best.  

Tomorrow I will try to finish trimming these pieces and then join them lengthwise.


No comments:

Post a Comment